Saturday, September 25, 2010

Preschool - Week 5 - Caps For Sale

This week we covered the book "Caps for Sale." Another retro, but timeless story. We went through some of the BFIAR discussion suggestions to talk about things like new vocab words (cap, peddler), counting the number of each color and total # caps, etc.  She liked imitating the peddler's actions as he grew angry with the monkeys (shaking a finger, stomping foot).




We did a number of fun activities this week as well, including:

A Monkey magnet page. (I took a hint from ConfessionsofaHomeschooler and put the sheet on a metal baking pan so the magnets actually stuck!):

A cutting practice page (also from Confessions) was great to work on her cutting skills (thumb up!) and afterwards, it made a good puzzle to piece back together:

She did another uppercase/lowercase clothespin card for the word monkey:


I found a Caps for Sale worksheet with colored caps to count.  I wrote the numbers for her, but she had to do the counting:

We got out the button box, and E had to pick out the same number and color of buttons as caps the peddler had on his head. Then she made a line in the same order as he wore them:

Friday we did some sequence cards. I scanned, copied and cut out some pictures from the book on cardstock.  Then, I asked E to use her memory to put them in the order of the story:

If anyone wants to borrow these to use, let me know! That goes for anything, actually...

Lastly, we made a fingerprint monkey tree. I printed out a tree outline I found on Google images, E colored it and made some thumb prints on the branches.

 I added the monkey features with a fine tip marker, and she drew on a cap for each monkey.

(and that autograph is all E! I love how she makes a lower case i...)

1 comment:

Mom said...

Wow you covered lots of activities this week. It looks like Elise is enjoying preschool. Hope Mom is also!