Thursday, July 15, 2010

Homeschooling - Part Two

It's hard to believe that C will be starting Kindergarten in 3 1/2 weeks! While we have decided to send her to public school, I will be homeschooling E for preschool this year.  Since she's a year younger than C was for our Letter of the Week curriculum, we'll be doing something new.  For the majority of our lessons, I'll be using a book called "Before Five in a Row" (BFIAR).

BFIAR is a set of lesson plans based on numerous children's books.  The idea is that you read the same storybook each day for five days in a row. Then you pick a lesson/activity to do with your child each day.  The lessons range from art, science, math, language arts, etc. I hope to get most of the books from our library, so that means that my cost for the curriculum will be the cost of the BFIAR book itself (~$35).  I am looking forward to having a lot less work this year by using an existing curriculum! :)  We will supplement with  occasional flash cards for letters/numbers and some worksheets, but those will be to a minimum.

Here are my preschool goals for E:
  •  Be able to write her name
  •  Recite our address
  •  Recite our phone number
  •  Know upper and lower case letters
  •  Know letter sounds
  •  Know numbers 0 - 20
  •  Do at least 3 days of BFIAR a week

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lori, Lisa Ryan here. That repeated reading curriculum sounds really good. We use that strategy in elementary school all of the time! I've been enjoying your homeschooling posts for a while now, and I think it's great how you did what you did. How much time do you spend on it each day with the girls?