Wednesday, January 9, 2008

My Future Smooth Dress

Ok, so here is the inspiration for all the duct tape madness. After 7 years of dancing, Doug has agreed to do a smooth solo with me for our showcase in June. We are doing a Viennese Waltz. Of course, this is exciting to me for many reasons, one of which is that I get to have a smooth dress!

I love this dress. It was designed by the guy who does all the Dancing with the Stars gowns. I love the dark blue color and the neckline - love the sleeves, but don't know how/if I will manage that. I would probably like more godets in the front, but other than that, it is so gorgeous!



After weeks and weeks of searching the web, I found a pattern that I believe will get me close to the inspiration dress:

It obviously doesn't have the sleeves, but it is supposed to include instructions for a bodysuit. And it is only $2.99!!! (Other patterns I looked at were $40+) Also, it has a two-piece bodice and skirt. Any suggestions for making that one solid piece? Or am I once again biting off more than I can or should chew for my first gown???

8 comments:

Cheryl Troxel said...

That dress is beautiful and you will look incredible in it! I am a quilter and beginner sewer so this looks hard to me, but I bet you will be able to figure it out. I can't wait to see the end result!

Unknown said...

I am certain you can do it! Don't forget that one of our near and dear friends used to be an excellent seamstress!

Kim said...

I'm so impressed that your pursuing sewing & at such a challenging level - in my opinion. I think it's so neat that your doing this!

Unknown said...

I am really rusty on my sewing, like 12 yrs rusty but depending on the pattern, some times you can do a little cut and taping to get the pattern that you would want. That is a beautiful dress but it will probably be a little tough with the design and type of material but I'm sure you can do. If you need me I would be more than happy to help but remember, it's been a long time.

Anonymous said...

I had no idea there were rules about smooth dresses / dances!

I think converting that pattern to a dress looks insanely hard! If you achieve it, you are sewing genius. Won't it be tough to make perfectly sized snug armholes when the dresses shown with the pattern avoid that altogther?

However you may remember (or probably not) that my chief sewing accomplishment was a hideous matching shirt and skirt in the 6th grade... or possibly those halter tops we made for the jr. high scoliosis testing. All of your posts this month are taking me back!

Lori said...

After shopping this weekend and trying on some ballroom-esque formal gowns, I am more determined than ever to give this a shot.

I am going to leave the sleeves out for sure with the hopes of making another one in the future if things work out well.

I'd love to use stretch velvet for the main part of the dress, but am not sure where to buy it. JoAnn's does not carry it.

Thanks for your well-wishes! I'll keep you posted!

And Janeen - remember that I did make our senior class porpoise without even a pattern to guide me...

Anonymous said...

WOW! I am so impressed. I really like that dress. You will indeed look great in it.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see how it turns out. And yes, the porpoise was awe-inspiring.