Thursday, July 17, 2008

One Done

Here's the first apron I created. I made my own pattern, based on the Jessie Steele designs, which I love. Somewhere I read a tip about drawing your pattern out on old wrapping paper. That worked great.

The pocket was the hardest part of this whole thing. Actually, it's the hardest thing I've sewn, yet! Getting the bias tape to not pucker around the curve of the pocket was nearly impossible. The best result I got was when I used my hot iron to "pre-shape" it as best as I could. Then getting the corners to look nice was also difficult.

When I thought it was finally finished, I tried it on for Doug and realized that I'd sewn the pocket closed!

5 comments:

Mom said...

That looks really nice. I love the curves. Is that bias tape all around the outside edges? You could also try using your serger with a real close stitch, like a rolled hem, to go around the edges, especially around the pocket.

mom

Janeen said...

That's adorable! I'm so impressed.

Anonymous said...

Who needs a pocket anyways?!

Unknown said...

It looks awesome!

MNK said...

Congrats - You are now officially Mom.
But that's a good thing since Mom is one of the best people in the whole world.