I know it's odd to ask for prayer for a pet, but Sadie is so special to us, so I am anyways. As most of you know, she has been limping badly for about 2 1/2 months. She injured her back leg after trying to catch a Frisbee and landing on her back hip.
I took her to our vet last night, as she's just not healing right and I've been concerned about her more and more. His diagnosis was a cranial cruciate injury or torn ligament in her knee.
Long story short, we are trying some anti-inflammatory medicine this week to see if that helps her to put weight on the leg and therefore strengthen the remaining (hopefully existing) intact ligaments to hold her load. If that is not effective, we're looking at surgery. The surgery that is #1 recommended to fix the problem is around $3000.
Doug is not eager to spend $3000 on an animal, and I know it is a lot of money. We'll research this out more and get second opinions and look for some cheaper options, but my vet is very honest and I think that he is telling us the truth.
I'm asking that you will pray for this medicine to help Sadie put weight on her leg and that it will show significant improvement by our next visit. That would mean God's intervention, as it is not likely that this treatment will work. However, she is only 4 years old and being on medication the rest of her life will still be expensive and has a lot of long-term side effects.
Thanks for reading this and caring for me and Sadie. I've been emotional about it. Lesson learned is that if we had taken her right away, we would have received instructions and medications that may have allowed a partial tear to heal right away rather than exercising "normally" and risking a full tear. Looks like her Frisbee catching days are over. She never was much good at it anyways... ;-)
11 comments:
Praying for you and Sadie.
Lori, I'm so sorry! I know how much pets can mean to you - they're not people, but they're still important parts of our family. I'll be praying for Sadie.
Hugs for you, Lori. Animals give so much to us and it's hard to see them hurting. Prayers--Sarah
I knew of a physical therapist I used to work with that worked with animals too. Sounds kind of wacky but if you want me to contact her I could. Maybe she could show you some creative strengthening to do to avoid surgery??? I'll be praying for you.
Styles and Shasta send their love. We are praying hard for Ms. Sadie Sue (Soodle Noodle).
Hi-
We are praying for all to heal well.
Dr. King has a water therapy clinic and a few other options that you may also want to look into. Let me know if I can help in anyway.
M
Thanks for all your well wishes. She was still limping the same today, but I know that all the pulling and stretching the vet did yesterday made her extra sore. I will be looking into Purdue as another option if we need to do surgery. At least doing a consult with x-rays will help diagnose if it is a full tear or partial.
Marlo - you've never seen a dobie around water, obviously. :-D Your comment made me smile... There's NO WAY Sadie would ever submit to any kind of water therapy. But thanks for the suggestion!
Hey Lori, I'm so sorry to hear about Sadie. When Bella was 3, she was running on our icy deck and did the same thing. We thought it was her hip dysplasia acting up but after it persisted a few weeks, we took her in to the vet. They gave us the surgery option too but said that it is less than 50% effective with a very high rate of reoccurrence. Purdue told us similar statistics. We gave her a bout of antiinflammatories and steroids and the steroids seemed to do the trick. She still limps if she has really overdone it (ie jumping in the pool 30 times or running over a few miles) but otherwise she does pretty good. We were told that her knee scars up on its own when it heals and that gives it some extra stability. Anyway, I'll be praying for the meds to work.
Sadie - Guinan and Frodo send their slurps! Hang in there!
I am sorry to hear that. I know I would be devistated if something like that happened to Guinan. I hope she heals up.
Danny
We'll pray for Sadie! I know how you feel about her - she's one of your girls.
Post a Comment