Here's what we covered:
Language Arts:
- Letter of the Week Craft:
- Handwriting Practice Worksheets (cat, clown, review of ABC)
- C Sounds worksheet
Math:
- Number 3 worksheets (clouds, and workbooks)
- Classified animals by habitat (I made an Animal Habitiat game by printing out pictures from Google Images, laminating them and having C match them to their correct habitat. The game should come in handy later when we learn about the desert, ocean and specific animals.)
A Stinky Skunk...
Science:
- Clouds
- Cloud Worksheet (cut out and match types of clouds to picture)
- Science Journal Page
Social Studies:
- Christopher Columbus (this was interesting, because as I pre-read the books I realized that Columbus was a pretty terrible person. For some reason that never really stuck out from my memory of learning about him! I debated changing the topic, but decided to go with it and use the opportunity to point out some of the "bad choices" he had made. This book, The Story of Christopher Columbus (DK Reader Level 2: Beginning to Read Alone)
- Looked at globe to see where Columbus sailed on his journeys
Sight Words:
Cloud, Can, Cup, Cat, Cookie
Snack:
- We baked some cookies of course! I had a package of Sugar Cookie mix that the girls eagerly helped me mix up and cut into shapes of their choosing. Favorites were the ice cream cone and the ambulance.
Music:
- Aaron Copland CD from library
- This is modern classical music which is a bit unusual to me and not what I would normally choose to listen to. But I found it fascinating how C has responded to it. We've had some great discussions about how the music makes us feel (scared, sad, happy, dancey) and she also likes to make up stories about what's happening during each song. "A man is running away from the bad guys. Now he's hiding and peeking out. Now he got away! He's happy now. He's with his mommy." Sometimes she says the music sounds like a mouse running down the stairs or snake creeping along. We just sat and listened and talked - what a cool experience!
Game:
- Checkers - Doug introduced C to this game and she won the first round! This may be the first time Doug has ever let anyone else win...
Bible Stories:
- Jesus Heals Man w/Leprosy (I put little circle stickers all over the girls' faces and hands and talked about what it would be like to have leprosy in Biblical times. C was deeply affected by the thought of being sent away from your family and not being able to hug or touch anyone. It made Jesus's actions of touching and healing the leper in the story more meaningful to her.)
- Jesus Heals a Woman
- Elijah and the Ravens (a little confusing to do after we learned Elijah went up in a chariot of fire to be with God, but we're rolling with it...)
(C colored and cut out this 5-piece raven completely on her own! Her scissor skills are really amazing to me.)
1 comment:
C is for Coolest Mom!
Post a Comment