Friday, January 1, 2010

Taking on Challenge


Maybe it's because I just watched Julie & Julia, maybe it's because I'm a glutton for punishment, or maybe it's just because I have too much food in my house right now, but I have decided to take on the Eat from the Pantry Challenge issued by Money Saving Mom and FishMama.

Doug and I talked about it last night and he's game! The past two months have been expensive ones, with our new hot water heater, new water softener, new tires and brakes on the van... We ended up putting only a fraction of what we planned into savings for November and December. So let's hope that this helps make up for a little bit of that!

Here are our goals for the month of January:

  1. Shop at the grocery store only 4 times in January.

  2. Only buy dairy (milk, eggs, cheese, etc.) and produce (fruits/vegetables).

  3. Spend a total of $200 or less on groceries and household items (i.e. toiletries and Pull-Ups, etc.)

  4. Put the extra $220 leftover (or more) that we would usually spend on groceries/household into our savings account.

Crystal has some caveats in her post, so I'll include mine here: We usually have a meal with our church small group each Monday night (which I cook for occasionally) so that will not be included in the challenge. Also, we will be hosting my parents for a long weekend while I am out of town, so we may buy a few items for them while they are here. Our dining out budget is usually $30/month and we'll try to stick to that as well.

So that's it! Wish me luck... Anybody care to join in?

2 comments:

Kim said...

I follow the Money Saving Mom blog as well(she lives somewhere here in Wichita). I saw the challenge and thought it was interesting. I might try it. Goodness knows we have plenty of food in our pantry. Plus, Chris isn't going to be around, which changes things as well. Hope it goes well for you. I'll be interested in hearing how it went for you.

MNK said...

I don't know about this challenge for us. Now that people have left our fridge and pantry are literally bare. I guess that's good meaning I buy stuff we use up but there's not even a jar of spaghetti sauce in there...or pasta now that I think about it. Hmmm...