Monday, November 1, 2010

Preschool - Week 9 - Blueberries for Sal

This week was a short week - but we still covered a lot of fun activities for our book of the week, Blueberries for Sal.  This book was written in 1948 and we had a good time just talking about the 40's kitchen pictured on the inside of the front and back cover.  Which things were different or the same as our kitchen now?



This book was good to do some counting practice.  Sal puts blueberries in her bucket and then takes some out (to eat!).  

We made our own "berries" by painting some beans blue.  I found the best way to do this way to put a large glob of paint into a plastic cup, drop in a small handful of beans and let E "mix" it all up with her paintbrush.  Then we dumped them out onto wax paper, spread them out a bit and let dry.


Then I printed out a fun counting mat and had E place the bean/blueberries into either the bucket or the bear tummy as I read the story aloud.  


We also used the bean/blueberries for a counting game, where E would draw a card from a pile and the count that number of blueberries and place them on a bucket counting mat


One other fun activity we did was a little experiment. (Lisey LOVES experiments).  I got a metal bucket, glass jar and wicker basket.   We dropped the bean/blueberries into each container and listened to the sound it made.  Then I had E close her eyes, listen and guess which container I dropped a bean into, based on the sound it made.  She had me close my eyes and guess, as well, which was even more fun for her.


Lastly, we did a "blue" sight word card.  We've been reviewing the cards each week and then I cover the picture and quiz her on them.  She is enjoying that part, as I make a big deal when she gets them right. :)


No comments: